We have a very dedicated Social Action Ministry Team at MLC and they would love for you to join them on one or a number of different projects. In recent years their recurring efforts have included the following:
- Provide monthly meals at an emergency shelter for adults (third Thursday of each month, located on Mill Street in San Rafael)
- Renovate annually a room for families at an emergency shelter operated by Homeward Bound
- Provide full back-packs for school kids at Ritter Center in the fall
- Organize the “Angel Tree” at Christmas for families in need
- Participate in the CROP Walk (a hunger walk and much more)
- Sponsor contributions to the Marin Food Bank multiple times during the year
- Organize the MLC volunteers who help staff the Corte Madera Food Bank (a local pantry) every Thursday of the year
- Respond in special areas of need as they arise
The Social Action Ministry Team also supports local groups in the area of social action with Special Projects. As an example, in 2011, they began working with organizers of the REST program, MLC volunteers, and other local congregations to help provide meals for the emergency winter shelter in Marin. In 2012, they helped get the Corte Madera Food Bank started in partnership with Holy Innocents Episcopal Church.
Educating the congregation about opportunities for social action is also an important job of this team. As an example, following the earthquake in Haiti, they held a special event to share information about the earthquake-related destruction – and to enjoy a wonderful Haitian lunch. The event highlighted the work of Lutheran World Relief in helping the people of Haiti deal with this disaster and work to restore order to their communities. This Ministry Team has also helped inform MLC members regarding the impact of malaria on communities worldwide, especially in Africa. This effort meshes with the Malaria Initiative of the national church, the ELCA. Then this spring, the team held an adult education session to review a set of new social ministry opportunities for MLC members.
Finally, each year MLC allocates funds to organizations engaged in social action. In 2012 this has involved $8500, in addition to major funds contributed directly to the ELCA. Our Social Action Ministry Team is responsible for making decisions about the allocation of these funds to organizations such as:
- Homeward Bound
- Lutheran World Relief
- Ritter Center, San Rafael
- Marin Interfaith Street Chaplaincy
- ELCA Disaster Response
- Lutheran Social Services of Northern California
- Safeway Cards for those in need
- Our Synod’s Lutheran Office of Public Policy
- Canal Alliance, San Rafael
- San Francisco Night Ministry
If you are interested in helping with any of the activities listed above or would like to learn more about the work of this wonderful committee, please contact Ross Johnson or anyone else on the Social Action Ministry Team (Pastor Kathryn Gulbranson, Mary Creigh Houts, Judy Qvistgaard, Judy Rossbach, Tom Schmidt and Sandy Seeger).